Another busy week and April’s almost gone. I can’t miss this month’s #TwelveLoaves party but I don’t usually make breads with orange. I was so happy to find this quick and easy recipe to share with you.
Hope you’re ready for another Italian style recipe. This recipe is a dense and delicious. You can have it for breakfast or dessert.
Yield: 1 loaf Cook Time: 50 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup sugar, room temperature or softened
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup ground blanched almonds (I measured 3/4 cup silvered blanched almonds and then chopped finely in my mini chopper)
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest (I substituted dried orange peel)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 to 6 teaspoons hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon orange flavoring
Step 1: For the batter: Sift together flour baking powder, salt and flour in a medium bowl and set aside. Cream butter and sugar together until light and creamy; about 1 to 2 minutes. I beat on high using my hand-held mixer. Add eggs one at a time beating to combine after each one. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, as needed.
Step 2: Mix in the almonds and orange zest until combined. Fold in half the flour mixture. Fold in the milk. Fold in the remaining flour mixture until just combined. Transfer the batter to a greased or parchment lined 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with a spoon. I usually like to use parchment paper but this time I used cooking spray. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 50. Test with a toothpick; toothpick will be clean when done. Let cool 5 to 10 minutes in the pan. Remove from pan and cool completely on a rack.
Step 3: For the glaze: Mix the powdered sugar, orange flavoring and 3 teaspoons water together with a fork. Add additional water in small increments until desired consistency is reached. I used all six teaspoons. Drizzle across the top the loaf. Slice and serve.
Recipe adapted from Italian Dessert Recipes.
Tips: Store in an airtight container.
Here is our fantastic April-Oranges breads from the incredible #TwelveLoaves bakers:
- Blueberry Dreamsicle Orange Lower-Fat Quick Bread from Shockingly Delicious
- Brith with candied orange from Ma che ti sei mangiato
- It’s Thyme for Orange Dinner Rolls from Cookistry
- Orange Biscuits from Magnolia Days
- Orange-Fennel Cake Doughnuts from girlichef
- Orange Marmalade Filled Sweet Rolls from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Orange Marmalade Scones from A Baker’s House
- Orange Pull-Apart Bread from All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Orange Pull Apart Bread with Orange Cream Cheese Glaze from Bakingyummies
- Orange Rolls from Basic N Delicious
- Orange Rosemary Boule from Food Lust People Love
- Orange You Delicious Honey Crescent Rolls from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Pizza di Pasqua from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Rye and fennel seeds snails with blood oranges and red onion chutney from Rise of the sourdough preacher
- Sicilian Orange Sweet Bread from Cake Duchess
- Strawberry and Orange Quick Bread with Candied Orange Marmalade from Hip Foodie Mom
#TwelveLoaves April: Oranges. The month of March was filled with gorgeous strawberry breads! We have chosen ORANGES for our April theme! Choose a recipe including oranges. Your bread of choice recipe must include in the recipe: oranges, orange marmalade, orange zest. In addition to being in the dough, it could also be added to a glaze. Whatever you bake, (yeasted, quick bread, crackers, muffins, braids, flatbreads, etc) have fun and let’s have a delicious month of bread with ORANGES. Let’s get baking!
If you’d like to add your bread to the collection with the Linky Tool this month, here’s what you need to do!
1. When you post your Twelve Loaves bread on your blog, make sure that you mention the Twelve Loaves challenge in your blog post; this helps us to get more members as well as share everyone’s posts. Please make sure that your bread is inspired by the theme!
2. Please link your post to the linky tool at the bottom of my blog. It must be a bread baked to the Twelve Loaves theme.
3. Have your Twelve Loaves bread that you baked this April, 2014, and posted on your blog by April 30, 2014.
#TwelveLoaves is a monthly bread baking party created by Lora from Cake Duchess. #TwelveLoaves runs so smoothly thanks to the help of the lovely Renee from Magnolia Days and Heather from girlichef.
You are next… Click here to enter
This post may also be entered in these linky parties. Click the here to visit the other great posts in the blog hops.